Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Week 1

I arrived in Buenos Aires on February 1st. It's now February 5th, and here is what I know.

1. Buenos Aires is big
2. Buenos Aires is hot and pretty humid (in its summer).
3. A Buenos Aires Baptism is when you're walking along and an air conditioner drips water on you. Hopefully it's an air conditioner. (I've been "saved" several times now).
4. Pedestrians do not have the right of way.
5. Like Prague, there are lots of dogs (and dog crap) everywhere.
6. Buenos Aires is like, really big.
7. Going to a job interview will be a 5 hour ordeal roundtrip. (Admitedly, the company was in the suburbs, but still, I got sunburned in the time spent sitting on the bus.)
8. The locals are called Portenos. The Portenos like to eat meat and drink Fernet with Coca Cola. They do not like spicy food. And I haven't found Sriracha yet.
9. The Spanish here is spoken incredibly quickly and with a strange accent. But I can use the basic stuff, much more than I ever could do in Prague.

There's probably more. But basically besides the whole frantic search (which did not last long) for somewhere to live and chill things have been really good. Basically just need to get a couple of jobs and some friends. Boom.

With my Prague experience everything was so new. A very steep, difficult learning curve.  So far I feel like Buenos Aires is like the second baby. Maybe less stress/excitement. Kind of know what I'm doing now. At the same time I don't think the whole "I'm in South America" thing has really sunk in. Probably still a little sleep deprived.  But I'm pretty sure I'm going to discover that this place isn't lovely, pristine Euro-city.  Think I've got a whole 'nother monster to meet. 

So, more sleep to catch up on. Like this little baby corgi who just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment