Monday, February 18, 2013

Looking for Polish faces in strange places.

I think because I came away with great friends from Prague I think was easy to make those great friends. It's true, I went in with a program of people in the same boat as me or people who had been there before. Even though I was really tired and not in the mood at the time, if I hadn't gone out to one particular TEFL get-together I wouldn't have met two very key players who led me to my main social groups the whole time there. If I hadn't sent a thanks-for-sharing-the-cab text the next morning to a dude I met the night before I wouldn't have the best gay-bff ever now. Etc.

Here I came in with a few contacts but am definitely more on my own. I'm kind of enjoying the alone time for now, but it won't hurt to make some contacts early. I hit some expat forums and put out some feelers.

Last Sunday I met up with a local guy who likes showing newbies around, and another guy from New York City. We met in a park, visited the cemetery, the library, university, and chilled out drinking Mate in the park. There was some good conversation and also some very boring conversation I wasn't too interested in. The New Yorker is only here for a few months anyway.

In the middle of the week I met up with two Polish girls who are also here on an extended vacation, and a German girl they met a week ago who works and lives here. I got to the meet-up place first and found it funny to be waiting for Europeans on the corner of Sante Fe and Thames in front of Kentucky Pizza. In Buenos Aires. I'd soon learn that one of the girls lived in Prague for five years so we knew all the same places, hangouts, tram routes, etc. It doesn't seem like we have any mutual friends. That would blow my mind. This encounter was much more fun. We went to a cool bar/restaurant with lots of art painted right on the walls graffiti-style. Lots of conversation and plans for future hangouts. Even if two of them are only here a few months they might be that stepping stone to my peeps here.

This Friday I went to another meetup I found out about online. It was at another cool bar with beer from all over the world. Met some fun British people who I always seem to get along with. Also a weird Canadian mother/daughter duo. It was fun and I made some contacts but I came away from the night mostly proud I navigated the buses home with with no problem. It's the main way of getting around here and yet it's not very developed, more on that later.

Yesterday there was another hangout planned to go bowling. But by that time I remembered meeting and talking to people is exhausting and I hate it. Not really, but staying in and catching up with Dexter seemed more fun. I feel like I put in a good effort through the week. Either through work or some meet cute out in the city I'm sure I'll find my people. It's not like I have high requirements that they like Sci-Fi, are smart, hilarious, interesting, like to drink but don't go crazy, and adore me....

No comments:

Post a Comment